real fix
AnimalsHealthMost PopularDog Needs Emergency Surgery After Eating Owner’s Knickers

Dog Needs Emergency Surgery After Eating Owner’s Knickers

A cheeky dog needed emergency surgery after he ate a pair of his owner’s M&S – KNICKERS.

The black undies were wedged inside King Charles Spaniel Oiliver’s stomach for eight days – which vets say could have killed him.

Puzzled Stephanie Breadon knew something was wrong after normally playful Oscar suffered a bout of nausea and sickness.

But it was only when his condition took a turn for the worse a week later and Oscar became lethargic that the full scale of the problem emerged.

X-rays and an ultrasound revealed a strange foreign object in Oscar’s tummy – which upon surgery turned out to be a pair of Stephanie’s daughter Kim’s pants.

Stephanie and her daughter Kim with Oscar the dog after his recovery.

Mother-of-two Stephanie, 57, from Congleton, Cheshire, said: “Oscar’s eaten all sorts of things before, including slug pellets.

“And he’s always been very keen on chewing clothes. He loves the smell of anything human.

“But he’s never eaten anything like this before – certainly not a pair of knickers.

“The knickers belonged to Kim – she’d left her clothes on the bathroom floor and Oscar must have been in there scavenging.

“We think the knickers were from M&S!”

Midwife Kim, 27, was working nightshifts and had come to stay with Stephanie to get a sleep during the day while she had builders in at her own home.

Oscar’s X-ray. The straggly black marks are trapped gas in the dog’s tummy caused by the knickers, which is the black blur above the gas.

Stephanie joked: “We’ve got a dog-proof lid on our laundry basket now and the next time Kim comes to stay I’m sure she’ll be picking up her clothes.”

And she added: “We can laugh about it now – but it was pretty serious at the time. We could have lost Oscar.”

Office worker Stephanie took Oscar to the Vets Now pet emergency clinic in Macclesfield, where vet Rokas Proscevicius (CORR) conducted a series of tests.

It was only after Rokas opened up an eight centimeter gap in Oscar’s tummy that he was able to remove the foreign object – and he was astonished to discover what it was.

The stitching on Oscar’s tummy after his operation.

Rokas said: “I’ve heard of all sorts of foreign objects getting lodged in a dog’s stomach, including golf balls, babies dummies, rubber ducks and even fridge magnets.

“But underwear? That’s a new one on me! I’ve never encountered that before.

“These pants were causing a very large blockage and obstruction in his intestine.

“Oscar was actually very fortunate that we got to him when we did. A foreign object like this can be fatal sometimes.”

Stephanie said: “We could tell he wasn’t right and we’d taken him to our local vets to get checked out and they prescribed him anti-sickness pills.

“But when he deteriorated it was at the weekend and we’re very grateful to Vets Now for looking after him so well.

“You can’t keep a good dog down, though – or in Oscar’s case, a bad dog! He was totally back to normal quite quickly.

“And I think he quite enjoyed all the attention he got there – when we went back for a check-up his tail was wagging like mad!”

Comments

comments

Get Your Fix

Sign up to get your fix of real life delivered directly to your inbox! We hate spam and promise we'll only use your email address to send you great stuff from Real-Fix.

Follow Us

Instagram

Contact us

Media Centre, Emma-Chris Way, Filton, Bristol, Avon, BS34 7JU

hello@real-fix.com

Back to Top
Like us on Facebook for regular updates and access to exclusive content and competitions: