real fix
HealthMost PopularIncredible X-Ray Shows Penny Lodged In One-Year-Old’s Throat!

Incredible X-Ray Shows Penny Lodged In One-Year-Old’s Throat!

This shocking x-ray image shows a PENNY lodged in a baby’s throat.

Mum Kayleigh Poter was terrified when her one-year-old daughter Skyla started foaming at the mouth and throwing up bile.

She tried slapping Skyla on the back before frantically calling paramedics, who rushed the tot to hospital.

Doctors initially believed her throat had closed up due to chicken pox.

But incredibly, an x ray revealed a COIN was obstructing her throat.

Kayleigh Porter with daughetr Skyla

Mrs Porter, 28, said she “burst into tears” when she realised what it was.

“The doctors were in absolute awe at how blocked it was,” she said.

“Everyone thought it was a £2 coin or a 2p coin – no one thought it was a penny.

“I felt like the worst parent in the world. I couldn’t stop myself from crying because I thought this had happened because of me.

“Doctors had to try and comfort me but they couldn’t. It felt like my fault and I still think that now.”

Doctors believe that when Mrs Porter slapped her daughter on the back, she dislodged the coin so that her airway was passable and she could breathe.

She had learned what to do through basic first aid training but said the harrowing experience has left her feeling petrified about what could have happened.

“It really shook me up,” she said.

“I had never seen anything like it and there was so much of this bile. The worst case scenarios were going through my head and I thought she was dying.

“She was foaming at the mouth so I tilted her over and hit her on her back. I didn’t react until she started breathing properly again and I just held her and cradled her as I waited for the paramedics to arrive.”

This shocking x-ray image shows how a penny became lodged in a baby’s throat

Within minutes of dialling 999 paramedics rushed to Mrs Porter’s home in Hull, East Yorks., and took Skyla to the A&E unit at Hull Royal Infirmary.

After discovering the penny, Skyla was then taken into surgery and put to sleep so that the coin could be removed.

She was allowed home the next day with her mum – taking with her a very special souvenir gift from her stay at the hospital.

“We were given the penny and I’m going to keep it for her,” said Mrs Porter.

“She was also given a bracelet and we’ve got a copy of her X-ray so I’m going to try and put it all together and frame it.

“I know she will think it’s funny when she’s older but it will let her know what she put us through.”

Since the moment of horror, Mrs Porter, who also has a two-year-old son called Chase, has kept her youngest child wrapped in cotton wool.

“I am just petrified now all the time. I have thrown so many toys away since and now she doesn’t leave my side,” she said.

“I worry constantly. Before I used to be quite laid back with her but now if anything goes near her mouth I think she’s going to choke.”

The mum-of-two was told by paramedics that if she had not acted to stop her daughter choking the first time she could have died and now, Mrs Porter is planning to start a petition to introduce first aid training to new parents in hospitals.

She said: “I am going to contact local councils and St John Ambulance to make sure that all first time mothers have basic first aid training and basic CPR.

“It is so easy to learn and if I hadn’t have had the training, Skyla could have died.”

Comments

comments

Get Your Fix

Sign up to get your fix of real life delivered directly to your inbox! We hate spam and promise we'll only use your email address to send you great stuff from Real-Fix.

Follow Us

Instagram

Contact us

Media Centre, Emma-Chris Way, Filton, Bristol, Avon, BS34 7JU

hello@real-fix.com

Back to Top
Like us on Facebook for regular updates and access to exclusive content and competitions: