A dog was left needing emergency neck surgery after chasing a stick – and swallowing it.
Poorly pooch Buddy was rushed to a vets by his worried owners after an “altercation” with the six inch-long piece of wood.
Staff worked to remove the part of the stick poking from his mouth before using an endoscope to search for the rest.
Nurse Johanna Page was then able to extract the broken part from Buddy’s neck – adding that it could have caused him serious problems if it had been left.
The team at MiNightVet in Trowbridge, Wilts., also removed a twig that had punctured the dog’s mouth and a length of grass that was also doing damage.
In a post on Facebook, the practice said: “PLEASE do not throw sticks or allow your dogs to play with sticks.
“Buddy has been a incredibly lucky boy to recover with no problems but the outcome may not be the same next time!”