This is the disgusting moment a Boxer dog was violently ill after eating ALL the chocolates under the Christmas tree.
The gruesome image was captured by a vet who is warning pet owners not to let their animals gorge on festive treats – because they can kill.
The poor pooch named Sophia is lucky to be alive after she individually unwrapped a kilo worth of chocolate meant for her owner’s family and ate them all.
Sophia was rushed to hospital, where she was fed activated charcoal to stop her stomach absorbing the toxins in the sweets.
The pooch then vomited up the chocolate sludge all across the U.S.-based veterinary clinic – who a placed blue pads under the dog to catch the vomit but miscalculated how much she had truly eaten.
Chocolate contains Theobromine, a stimulant that is poisonous to dogs and can cause fatal.
The Greenbrier Emergency Animal Hospital in Virginia, U.S., captured the moment last Christmas and posted it on Facebook and were overwhelmed when more than 40,000 people shared the picture.
A spokesperson said: “The dog ate all of the chocolate under the Christmas tree and other food around the tree.
“She obviously vomited the majority of the chocolate up then we gave her activated charcoal and started IV fluids.
“She was off fluids and fully recovered in about two days.
“It is a great teaching topic and the shock value alone is worth the ‘conversation’ it starts.”
The PDSA also warned pet owners to beware of their dogs around chocolates, after a fluffy Bichon Frise also became seriously ill after stealing her owner’s chocolates.
Faith, three, from Glasgow, munched an entire box of mint chocolates while owner Anne-Marie Smith’s back was turned,
Anne-Marie, 47, said: “I got home with my daughter and she spotted the half-empty box. Faith had taken it into the lounge and eaten 27 chocolates.
“She had also been sick on the Christmas tree, we think she might have chewed the tree to make herself sick.
“I was really worried because I know chocolate is toxic to dogs, so we took her straight to PDSA.”
On the way to the vet, Faith went limp and collapsed because she had eaten dark chocolates – which contane more Theobromine.
PDSA vet Hannah McIvor, said: “Unfortunately, Faith had eaten dark chocolate and lots of it.
“Because it was making her so sick, we had to put her on a drip to keep her fluids up and also reduce any damage being done to her kidneys.
“We also gave her medicine to help stop her vomiting.
“Thankfully, being sick at home seems to have helped prevent her suffering the worst symptoms and after being kept in overnight under close observation, she was able to go home again.”