A tiny bat that was close to death after getting itself stuck on fly paper has been nursed back to health with a BUBBLE BATH.
The pipistrelle bat, weighing just 5g, was found exhausted, dehydrated and covered in glue after accidentally flying into the gummy trap.
It caught itself near Dorchester, Dorset and was taken to the RSPCA’s centre at West Hatch near Taunton, Somerset to save its life.
Staff at the animal charity carefully removed the paper, fed it fluids and put him under a heat lamp.
They then soaked the bat in a little bath of washing up liquid and warm water to remove the glue.
Bel Deering, manager at RSPCA West Hatch, said: “This poor little pipistrelle bat came into our care after having been stuck to sticky fly paper.
“He was in a bad way when he came in to us. He was exhausted and dehydrated.
“He was fed electrolytes orally and put under a heat lamp. After he had stabilised he was given a warm bath to remove the glue.
“He seems to be feeling better for having a bath as he is now eating well and can be quite feisty when he takes mealworms from the tweezers.
“We are hoping to move him to a special enclosure – a flexarium – over the next couple of days so he can build up his flying strength again before he is released back into the wild.”
Glue tape – also known as ‘fly paper’ or ‘sticky paper’ – consists of a sheet of tape coated with non-drying adhesive.
The RSPCA is opposed to the manufacture, sale and use of all glue traps because they cause unacceptable suffering to all species which fall victim to them.
Bel added: “This bat had a lucky escape because it does not always turn out this way.
“If he had been left there then he would have died a slow death from dehydration, starvation or exhaustion.
“We see so many different species caught on fly paper and on glue traps – from bats to swallows, feral pigeons and starlings.
“When bats fly into the paper they become stuck and when they struggle, other parts of their body then become stuck.
“With very delicate bones and wing membrane, bats can become seriously injured whilst caught in these traps.
“Glue traps are inhumane and indiscriminate and we urge people to think twice before using one.”