A woman spent three days in hospital – after her daughter’s dog accidently did a poo on her face while she was asleep.
Amanda Gommo, 51, was taking an afternoon nap with chihuahua Belle when the pooch became ill and had violent diarrhoea.
The mum-of-three was asleep with her mouth open, top and tailing with Belle, when the messy accident occurred, and some got in her mouth.
She ran to the bathroom to be sick but later ended up in hospital with a gastrointestinal infection – passed on from her pooch.
Amanda, from Bristol, said: “I was having my afternoon nap with Belle, like I always do, when I suddenly felt something squirt in my mouth.
“I rushed to the bathroom and my son was in the shower, so before I washed it out I had time to take a quick snap!
“It was disgusting, and I was hurling violently for hours after – I just couldn’t get the taste out of my mouth.”
Amanda’s daughter took Belle to the vet where the pooch was diagnosed with a nasty stomach bug and put on antibiotics.
But later that day, Amanda started displaying the same symptoms as Belle, so she rung 111 who sent an ambulance to her home.
Paramedics prescribed her painkillers for her stomach cramps and instructed her to drink lots of water to flush out any potential infection.
After their visit, her symptoms became progressively worse, and 48 hours later, Amanda’s cramps had spread all over her body.
Amanda’s mum then rang 999 who dispatched another ambulance, and this time she was transported to Bristol Royal Infirmary and immediately hooked up to a drip.
There, doctors diagnosed Amanda with a gastrointestinal infection that had been passed through Belle’s faeces into her mouth days earlier.
She was kept under observation for three days while they rehydrated her with the electrolytes and glucose that she’d lost throughout the horrific ordeal.
Amanda, who also suffers with chromes disease, said: “From the moment I got ill to when I was put on the drip, I couldn’t eat a thing.
“The cramps got worse and worse until I could feel them all over my body – even in my legs.
“They sent an ambulance the second time, and I was so dehydrated from being sick and having diarrhoea that my kidneys had shrivelled to half their size.
“I was kept in hospital for three days until they’d flushed the infection out through a drip.
“My discharge note said that I’d suffered a gastrointestinal infection caused by a dog defecating in my mouth – something doctors had never witnessed before.
“I’ve been drinking two Lucozades a day, plenty of tea and loads of water since it happened, and I’m happy to say both me and Belle are on the mend.
“I’ve forgiven Belle for her little accident and I still love her with all my heart, but I will definitely be more mindful of what position we sleep in in the future!”