A mother fears she a family of the world’s deadliest spider – whose bite causes a four hour erection then kills – is living in her home.
Michaela Egan, 24, found a suspicious white spider cocoon on the last banana in the bunch she had bought four days earlier.
She posted a picture of it on Facebook and within minutes had messages suggesting it was a Brazilian wandering spider.
The deadly spiders’ venom can kill a human in just two hours and can also give male victims a painful four-hour erection.
Its venom is currently being studied for use in erectile dysfunction treatments.
Full-time mum Michaela immediately put the banana in a sealed bag and took it back to the Tesco Extra in Rainham, Essex where she bought it from.
She was offered a refund and Tesco said it is investigating and has sent the banane off for tests.
But the mum-of-two is terrified baby spiders have hatched and are living in the home in Rainham she shares with husband William Osborne, 26, a postman.
Michaela, mum to George, one, and Ella-Mae, five, said: “I just couldn’t believe it when I saw it. I knew It was some sort of spider because of the webbing.
“I started to get really freaked out when everyone was posting pictures and stories of the Brazilian wandering spider.
“It just looked like a brown bulge under the webbing but everyone was saying that’s what it was. It’s really scary to think that I could have just handed it to my daughter or put it in her packed lunch.
“The banana had been there for four days so anything could have happened, I’m really scared they’re in the house.”
According to Guinness World Records Brazilian wandering spiders, particularly the Brazilian huntsman Phoneutria fera, are the most venomous arachnid on the planet.
They are known to build their webbed nests on bananas.
The spiders got their name because they are known to wander the jungle floor at night, rather than residing in a lair or maintaining a web.
During the day they hide inside termite mounds, under fallen logs and rocks, and in banana plants
Although the Brazilian wandering spider venom is the most toxic, an effective antivenom is available and few fatalities occur.
Jamie Robins, a conservation officer for wildlife charity Buglife, said Brazilian wandering spider nests are normally the size of half a snooker ball.
Tesco said: “We set ourselves the highest standards for the quality of our produce.
“Our customer service team are investigating this enquiry and will be in touch with Ms Egan as soon as possible.”