A dog owner has told of her shock after her pooch had to go under the knife because it had swallowed a POOL BALL.
Max, a Labrador, was forced to spend time at the vets in an effort to remove the ball from his stomach.
And after seeing the vet’s bill, his owner, Lorna Gerrie, feels like it may be “the most expensive pool ball ever”.
It is thought the daft dog swallowed the ball at the end of November before becoming unwell at Lorna’s home in Kemnay, Aberdeenshire.
She took him to the vet on December 3 and was shocked to see the number 10 pool ball appear on an x-ray.
And following a successful operation, they were allowed to keep the ball.
Lorna, 38, a hairdresser, said: “We just couldn’t believe it.
“We’ve never had a snooker table or anything like that so we don’t know where it came from.
“The only thing I can think of is that he might have found it in the woods when he was out on a walk.
“Over the next few days he was looking miserable and he wasn’t acting his usual self.
“Because he was still eating, I thought it might have just been a bug.”
“I was shocked when the vet told me there was a ball stuck inside him.”
Max was able to return to the family home on December 5, and has been getting a lot of attention since.
Lorna said: “It was like having a newborn baby. I had to sleep on the sofa with him.
“Every time you left him he started crying. I think he was just doing it for attention.
“By the following week he was more himself again.
“He’s still as lazy as he ever was. You can’t get him to move off the sofa.”
However, Max’s mistake was costly and has left Lorna with a £1,200 vet bill.
It won’t affect the family’s Christmas though with Lorna making sure that Max will join in on the fun.
She said: “He’s getting a new collar and a new dog tag. I lost my last dog, so Max has been spoiled rotten.
“He gets away with murder. I made sure the vets let us keep the ball.
“It feels like the most expensive pool ball ever.”
Charlie Carnochan, director of the Donview Veterinary Centre in Inverurie, Aberdeenshire, was involved in the dog’s treatment.
He said: “Once every couple of weeks we get a dog that’s eaten something stupid.
“I’ve had tennis balls, bouncy balls, we regularly get cats with string – but I’ve never had a pool ball.
“We didn’t have a clue what it was until we took it out, and then once we saw the number 10 we knew what it was.
“Really the recovery is waiting for the wounds to heal.
“It takes less than two weeks and then they’re back to normal.”