A tiny Yorkshire terrier lucky to be alive after eating – 22 HAIR BOBBLES.
Adorable Cooper the Yorkie had to undergo emergency surgery after it was discovered he has a love for gulping down the hair accessories.
He was rushed to a pet hospital by his owner Lynn Redpath who became worried when he started being sick.
X-rays revealed a large mass in his stomach that was the 22 hair bobbles and a button which were blocking the entrance to his intestines and could have proved fatal.
Lynn, from West Calder, Scotland, said: “Cooper is so bouncy and full of life – he loves playing with his toys and one of his favourite pastimes is flinging hair bobbles into the air.
“We noticed that he wasn’t quite his usual self but we couldn’t put our finger on what was wrong.”
“When he starting being sick, we took him straight to PDSA for a check-up.”
The People’s Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) is a charity pet hospital who acted quickly when Cooper was admitted, and vet Jennifer Lee examined the little dog.
She said: “Poor Cooper’s tummy was in a real mess.
“It looked as though he’d been gulping down the string snacks for some time as the bands were tangled into a mass.
“Thankfully, Lynn brought him to us when she did or he might not have been quite so lucky.”
The cheerful pooch is now fully recovered.
A thankful Lynn said: “We couldn’t believe it when the vets called and told us what had happened.
“We knew that Cooper liked to play with hair bands, but little did we know that he’d been secretly snaffling them.
“It’s scary to think that dogs eating things they shouldn’t could result in such a serious operation.
“We love Cooper to bits and couldn’t imagine life without him.”