A nine-year-old girl was horrified when she bit into an Iceland duck pancake only to discover it was infested – with dead WORMS.
Disgusted Imogen Matlala was tucking into dinner with her mum, Lisa, 39, when she went to take a bite and made the grim discovery.
On closer inspection they found seven black worms twisted through the warmed-up meat – some up to FIVE INCHES long.
The family, of Stroud, Glos., believe the bird used to make the product must have been infected with the parasites.
Imogen said: “I was just about to take a bite when I noticed something strange sticking out. It looked like a long black worm.”
Mum Lisa added: “It was absolutely disgusting. The whole of the duck was absolutely infested with them.
“I’m so relieved my daughter spotted the worms before she’d eaten the pancake. I dread to think what would have happened if she’d swallowed them.
“Some of them were only small but the biggest one or two must have been about five inches long. We counted around seven in total.
“I think they were tapeworms. I couldn’t believe it. The meat was riddled with them.”
Imogen had pestered her mum into buying the food for dinner after school and bought the frozen meal from the Iceland Foods in Cornhill, Stroud, before heading home.
The family contacted the supermarket on Monday evening. Iceland confirmed a full investigation would be carried out.
A spokeswoman said: “Please be assured that we take all complaints extremely seriously.
“We can confirm that Ms Matlala has been in touch with our customer care department regarding the foreign body.
“Ms Matlala is returning the item to the store and it will be collected by our supplier in order for them to carry out a thorough investigation.
“As soon as we have the results of this investigation we will get back in touch with Ms Matlala.”