real fix
FamiliesGeneralMust ReadFamily lucky to be alive after their home is hit by a lightning bolt and set on fire

Family lucky to be alive after their home is hit by a lightning bolt and set on fire

A family were lucky to escape unhurt when a bolt of lighting struck their home and set it on fire.

The Robinson family were watching a dramatic storm from their living room window when they heard a mighty crash and the house suddenly fell into darkness.

Michelle and Andy Robinson, their two daughters aged six and nine, and pet dog Fritz then saw smoke and fled to a neighbour’s home in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Michelle and Andy at home

Michelle and Andy at home

Andy, 45, said: “There was a large flash, like a sheet of lightning, and a huge crash and bang.

“I could hear crackling and thought it was hailing but realised it was actually fire because the back garden was full of smoke.”

The lighting started a small fire in the attic which destroyed family photo, children’s toys and other sentimental items.

The outside of the house

The outside of the house

Mum Michelle added: “We just can’t believe it. But as long as the children are alright, the rest is just bricks and mortar.”

The family praised the work of local firefighters after crews arrived on the scene within minutes to tackle the blaze and help rescue whatever belongings they could.

The damage inside

The damage inside

Michelle added: “If they hadn’t got here as quickly as they did, the house wouldn’t be here – and neither would the neighbours.

“The kids made them a card to say thank you – they are their heroes.”

Libby 6 , Amy 9 outside their home which was struck by lightening

Libby 6 , Amy 9 outside their home which was struck by lightening

The semi-detached house which had recently been redecorated, was left with a hole in the roof and extensive damage to the loft as well as soot damage.

Fire brigade watch manager Simeon Bambrook said: “The storm came so quickly and the lightning was spectacular.

The damage

The damage

“We believe it was lightning that caused the fire.”

Comments

comments

Get Your Fix

Sign up to get your fix of real life delivered directly to your inbox! We hate spam and promise we'll only use your email address to send you great stuff from Real-Fix.

Follow Us

Instagram

Contact us

Media Centre, Emma-Chris Way, Filton, Bristol, Avon, BS34 7JU

hello@real-fix.com

Back to Top
Like us on Facebook for regular updates and access to exclusive content and competitions: