real fix
GeneralMust ReadLifelong Vegetarian Left Feeling Sick “For Days” After Burger Mix-Up

Lifelong Vegetarian Left Feeling Sick “For Days” After Burger Mix-Up

A teenager raised by vegetarians who has never eaten meat in her entire life took a bite a chicken burger she was given by mistake at McDonald’s.

Clancy Bogue, 19, visited the branch in Bristol’s Cabot Circus last Monday (Jan 13 and ordered the Vegetable Deluxe burger.

She has never eaten meat in her life, having been raised by vegetarians, and remaining vegetarian for moral reasons.

But the student, at University of the West of England (UWE), in Bristol, was left feeling sick “for days” afterwards.

Her order got mixed up and she took a bit of her meal – to realise that she had been given a Chicken Mayo burger instead.

The teen said she was distressed when she realised the mistake, and has not been able to eat properly since.

And the restaurant’s manager has apologised for the “extremely disappointing” incident and claimed an error by a trainee caused the mistake.

Describing the moment she inadvertently ate meat for the first time, Ms Bogue said: “I ordered my vegetable deluxe meal and took it upstairs to eat.

“I took a bite and it didn’t seem right. I took a look at it and the inside of the burger was white.

“I realised then it was chicken and felt really distressed. I had a horrible feeling in my tummy and was almost gagging. I felt like being sick.”

“I went downstairs and said I wanted to speak to the manager,” she added.

“He offered me a refund and a new burger. I didn’t want one and asked how to make a proper complaint.”

Ms Bogue, who was raised by vegetarian parents and remains vegetarian for moral reasons, said she was left feeling sick for days afterwards.

“It was horrible – it’s thrown me off my eating pattern,” she said.

“I have been feeling quite nauseous. They should have things in place to stop this from happening. I don’t want to eat at any restaurant like that again.”

In an email to Ms Bogue, the restaurant’s business manager admitted the mix-up was “extremely disappointing”.

The email read: “I have looked in this issue myself and it appears it was a trainee’s error when finishing the product in the kitchen not being focused on the item at hand.

“Despite all the procedures in place, such as using a different color box and different color paper tray liner, the employee failed to fulfil this task to the standard we expect.

“I have personally retrained the employee in question and further communicated the importance of adhering to the polices in place to avoid this happening again to all employees through our internal channels.

“I apologise for the poor resolution from my shift manager’s side.”

A spokeswoman for McDonald’s added: “We’d like to apologise to this customer for this mistake.

“We understand and appreciate that it is not acceptable to serve meat when our vegetarian product has been ordered.

“We would like to reassure her that we have a number of measures in place to avoid inaccurate orders and have reminded our crew members about these.

“If the customer would like to further discuss her concerns then we recommend she gets in touch with our Customer Services Team.”

Comments

comments

Get Your Fix

Sign up to get your fix of real life delivered directly to your inbox! We hate spam and promise we'll only use your email address to send you great stuff from Real-Fix.

Follow Us

Instagram

Contact us

Media Centre, Emma-Chris Way, Filton, Bristol, Avon, BS34 7JU

hello@real-fix.com

Back to Top
Like us on Facebook for regular updates and access to exclusive content and competitions: