A woman was hospitalised with serious burns after a scented candle overheated – and EXPLODED in her hands.
Anne Smith, 35, lit an Air Wick pearl infusions gel candle before sitting down to relax and watch telly.
Just 20 minutes later the candle started to produce a “huge flame” and set off the fire alarm in her home.
But when Anne tried to move the candle to a safer place, its glass casing exploded and soaked her hands with scalding hot gel.
Her husband, Robert, drove her to the nearby Forres Health Clinic and she was then transferred to hospital Dr Gray’s Hospital in Elgin, Moray, for emergency treatment.
Anne’s pain was so intense that she had to be given morphine to help her cope as medics treated her burns.
Her blistered and swollen fingers are still bound in bandages and she is unable to carry out her work as a carer.
The mum-of-two from Forres, Moray, said that despite having some of the bandages removed, the burns were still causing her a lot of pain.
She said: “I just lit the candle for the nice smell really, while I was watching TV, but within 20 minutes of lighting it the smoke alarm was going off.
“The candle was producing a huge flame, which must have been about 18-inches high.”
“There was no way it was supposed to go that high, so I tried to take it through to the sink and at that point it just exploded in my hands.
“It must have been quite a heat to make the glass burst apart like that, and the pain was unbearable.”
Anne moved to Forres last year with husband Robert and children Abigail, 16, and Jon, 11.
She does not know when she will be able to return to work.
She said: “It was a real shock but I am lucky in a way as it could have burst near my face or anything.”
A spokeswoman for Air Wick said the company had been in contact with Anne and planned to investigate the incident.
She said: “We were very concerned to hear of this incident and take it very seriously.
“We have already contacted Mrs Smith and hope to speak to her further in order to ascertain exactly what happened, and to retrieve the product for testing.
“However, Air Wick’s range of candles are used in thousands of homes safely every day.”
“They are developed in line with stringent UK and EU regulations and undergo extensive laboratory testing prior to going on sale.
“We ensure that clear usage instructions and safety warnings are on the packaging.”