A mum says her daughter can’t be in the same room as an EGG after she nearly died as she helped make her own first birthday cake.
Emma Lowe, 36, wants to highlight the severe egg allergy two-year-old Elsie Lowe has after she lost consciousness when mixture got on her hands and face.
Mum-of-five Emma had been preparing Elsie’s birthday cake when the youngster began to scream as the mixture started to ‘burn’ her.
The youngster came out in a number of blotches and lost consciousness – and tests later showed the egg in the mixture was the catalyst.
Similar incidents, including her plate being warmed with another plate in a restaurant, can bring Elsie out in a rash across her face and hands.
Emma is now calling for businesses to do more training with their staff about customers who have severe allergies.
Accountant Emma, of Preston, Lancs., said: “I don’t want my daughter to be isolated because of her allergies, but people need to know about the dangers.
“I don’t go the restaurants anymore because the last time we ate out she had such a severe reaction we had to call an ambulance as her throat started swelling up.
“I had spoken to the waitress and explained the issue and she said there was no egg in the food, but as soon as Elsie started eating she had a reaction.
“When I asked later, they said that Elsie’s meal had been on the hotplate next to a dish that had egg in it, and they must have touched – this is the kind of thing that people need to know about.
“Now whenever we go out I take a packed lunch for her, but several places have told us we can’t bring our own food and have told us to leave.
“Elsie wears an allergy bracelet and I think that if you can prove your child has a severe allergy, you should be allowed to bring your own food to a restaurant.
“If she can’t eat in a restaurant and we can’t take a packed lunch it means she can never go out, and I don’t want her to be isolated like that.”
The family had recently visited a restaurant, which they refuse to name, when an ambulance had to be hailed for Elsie after her plate had been pre-warming next to an egg-based hotpot.
Emma added: “It’s just awful, and it’s always at the front of my mind when we go out somewhere – it’s not nice.”
Adding: “And it’s obviously not nice for Elsie either.”
Emma said that despite being extra careful when the family go out to eat – she wants restaurants to be more up-to-date on the severe types of food allergies.
She added: “Gluten intolerance is noted by most restaurants now, but the rarer ones are usually not taken as seriously.”
Elsie is allergic to egg and some types of nuts, and the family are awaiting the results of further tests from Royal Preston Hospital’s allergy clinic to see if she has a fish allergy.
Tests are being completed to determine other allergies Elsie may have, as she has had reactions to the likes of fish fingers and homemade cottage pie.
Emma said: “Maybe it’s something to do with preservatives, E numbers, or additives –
people don’t grasp how severe it is for Elsie and our family.
“It’s restricting such a smart and bright girl from progressing in life.”
Elsie’s allergy begins with blotches on her skin, but rapidly progresses to her throat swelling, meaning that she could die if she does not receive treatment in time.
Emma said: “It’s a terrifying thing for a parent – a lot of people don’t take allergies seriously.
“They think it’s just blotchy skin, or maybe an upset tummy, but Elsie could die every time she has a reaction.”
The UK has some of the highest prevalence rates of allergic conditions in the world – with over 20 per cent of the population affected by one or more allergic disorders.