real fix
AnimalsHealthMust ReadDog Owner’s Warning After Adorable Pooch Almost Died After Scoffing Down Mince Pie

Dog Owner’s Warning After Adorable Pooch Almost Died After Scoffing Down Mince Pie

A distressed dog owner has sent out a warning this Christmas after her adorable pooch almost died from scoffing a mince pie.

Lucie Coffey, 33, was in another room when miniature Dachshund Beatrice hopped on to the mantelpiece and devoured the Christmas treat.

When Lucie went to check on her beloved pet she found Beatrice looking sheepish on the sofa and saw the mince pie’s empty foil casing.

Lucie Coffey, 33 with Dachshund Beatrice who almost died from scoffing a mince pie.

The healthcare worker knew raisins are poisonous for dogs so rushed poorly Beatrice to the vets.

Beatrice was given an injection to induce vomiting and then activated charcoal to reduce the chances of harmful toxins from the raisins being absorbed.

Fortunately she made a full recovery in time for Christmas but vets have warned that her greediness could have cause fatal kidney failure.

All grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas can be poisonous to dogs and the dried versions of the fruits cause severe illness.

Lucie, from Shrewsbury, Shrops, said: “I was in the kitchen chopping vegetables for dinner and Beatrice was on the sofa in the living room.

“When I went back in I saw the foil on the plate but no pie and I thought, ‘right, there’s only one explanation for this’, and there was the dog looking very sheepish.

“It was my nine-year-old daughter Grace who’d left it out then went up to bed.

“So I had to get my sister to come round while I trekked off to the vets.

“We were there about three hours getting everything checked out and tested.

“I couldn’t have lived with myself if we hadn’t taken her to get checked out and something was badly wrong.

“A dog is part of your family and I would have been devastated if anything had happened to her.

“Santa’s mince pie is definitely staying outside with the carrot for Rudolph at the back door – out of harm’s way.”

Mother-of-two Jodie Holt, 31, went through a similarly distressing ordeal when her three-year-old cockapoo Ernie ate a mince pie from under the Christmas tree.

Jodie, who is a nurse, said: “As soon as I saw the mince pie had gone, I started googling it and saw how dangerous raisins can be for dogs.

“If it’s edible, then Ernie will eat it and he’s always hovering round when the kids are eating in case they drop anything.

“He actually nicked the carrot from the snowman’s nose last year, so maybe I should have seen this coming.

“But he usually comes upstairs when we all go to bed, so when he was poorly it never occurred to me that it was because he’d gone back down and eaten Santa’s mince pie.

Vets gave Ernie the same treatment as Beatrice received and he too made a full recovery in time for Christmas.

Both dogs were treated by Vets Now, an out of hours emergency service for pets, on Christmas Eve last year.

Laura Playforth, head of veterinary standards at Vets Now, said: “Our vets and vet nurses treated dozens of dogs last year who had eaten mince pies left out for Santa and we are expecting similar this year.

“That’s why it’s important to raise awareness that the raisins in mince pies are toxic to dogs.

“Normally symptoms start showing between six and 24 hours after the dog has eaten grapes or raisins.

“But these may not take effect for several days and in the most serious cases, the fruits can also cause sudden kidney failure.

“The good news is the prognosis for grape and raisin toxicity is generally good if treated early and there’s been no kidney damage.

“If you think your dog has eaten grapes, raisins, sultanas or currants, or anything containing them, you should telephone your vet immediately or, out of hours, your nearest Vets Now pet emergency clinic.”

Comments

comments

Get Your Fix

Sign up to get your fix of real life delivered directly to your inbox! We hate spam and promise we'll only use your email address to send you great stuff from Real-Fix.

Follow Us

Instagram

Contact us

Media Centre, Emma-Chris Way, Filton, Bristol, Avon, BS34 7JU

hello@real-fix.com

Back to Top
Like us on Facebook for regular updates and access to exclusive content and competitions: