A mum was horrified when her little girl went into anaphylactic shock and was rushed to hospital – after having an allergic reaction to SUNCREAM.
Chelsea Jones, 25, used Aldi’s Extra Sensitive Sun Spray on her two-year-old daughter Lily-Mae, covering the tot’s face and body.
But minutes after applying the lotion, Lily-Mae started coming out in a rash, her eyelids and lips swelled, and she was unable to swallow.
Mum Chelsea called 111 and paramedics used an epi-pen before she was rushed to Blackpool Victoria Hospital to be treated.
Chelsea has been advised not to put suncream on her little girl until more tests are carried out and she’s hoping to warn other parents about doing a patch test before using similar products.
Mum-of-three Chelsea, a waitress, from Blackpool, Lancashire, said: “It was terrifying and the effect from the cream has been horrendous.
“10 minutes after applying it her eyes went all puffy and she couldn’t swallow.
“The bottle didn’t say anything about doing a patch test and if it had, I definitely would have done one first.
“The suncream was even called ‘extra sensitive’ so I thought it would be fine.
“To other parents, please do a patch test first – I dread to think how it could have turned out.”
Chelsea’s father-in-law, William Baison, 68, purchased the suncream from an Aldi store in her hometown on Tuesday 26th May 2020.
After liberally applying it to Lily-Mae the next day, Chelsea quickly noticed something wasn’t right.
She said: “I specifically made sure it was an extra-sensitive high factor sun cream because she’s young.
“But 10 minutes after putting it on I noticed her face getting red and her eyes going puffy.
“I called 111 and they sent an ambulance straight away.
“It was clear she was having an allergic reaction and the paramedics had to use an epi-pen on her.
“They hoped it would help, but the reaction was so bad, it didn’t look like it was working.”
The ambulance rushed Lily-Mae to Blackpool Victoria Hospital where she spent three hours before was eventually allowed to go home when the reaction calmed down
Chelsea said: “Nurses had to pin her down and wash her eyes with saline to get out of every bit of product, in case she’d rubbed some in.
“She’s finally home but she’s still bright red and rubbing her eyes – it’s been incredibly traumatic.”
The devastated mum cannot use suncream on her little girl until more tests have been done.
Cheslea is hoping to raise awareness to other parents about the importance of doing a patch test.
She said: “It was definitely caused by the sun cream but we don’t know what it was in there that did it.
“I can’t use sun cream on her until we get a doctors appointment
“I don’t know what I’m going to do, especially in all this hot weather.
“I can’t keep her inside but I can’t put any suncream on her – it’s a nightmare.
“A friend of mine had the same cream and I warned her about doing a patch test and she says it caused a blister on her nine-month-old’s foot.”
An Aldi spokesperson said: “We were sorry to hear about the Jones family’s experience.
“Our Lacura sun spray is dermatologically tested and has been approved by the Skin Health Alliance.
“Despite our extensive testing, however, there is always the possibility of an individual intolerance to a particular ingredient.”