A mum is furious after her 11-year-old son was blinded by a rocket at a public firework display – which had no INSURANCE.
Tyler Norris-Sayers is facing months of reconstructive and stem cell surgery on the NHS following a horror accident when he was hit by a stray missile.
His mum Nicola, 39, has now been told the coordinators of the event at Rosegrove Railway Club in Burnley, Lancs., did not have the insurance.
An investigation by Lancashire County Council found the railway club was to blame, but has since advised Nicola’s solicitors that there will be no compensation to pay for any treatment.
This has meant that accounts manager Nicola has had to fund expensive trips to London for Tyler’s treatment by herself.
Mum-of-one Nicola said: “If I’m earning £900-a-month working part time and it costs £400 for one night stay for us and to get down there – then how am I going to manage more?
“My solicitors are currently looking into it and are going to advise me on other options.”
Tyler suffered horrendous burns to his right eye after the firework exploded in his face when it tipped over during an organised display and flew into the spectating crowds.
Burnley CID did launch an investigation at the time – but referred the incident to Lancashire County Council, Health and Safety Executive and Trading Standards.
A woman, aged 60, and an eight-year-old girl were also injured during the horror display.
Nicola says the club signed a caution which admitted liability and instead of being taken to court they will be dealt with in a civil hearing.
She has been told her son may never see out of his right eye again and has been forced to don an eye-patch before he starts school next week.
Britain’s top eye doctors have since vowed to save Tyler’s sight for free on the NHS – but it could take “several years”.
The youngster will now have his eye stitched open to repair scar tissue following his first consultation at the Queen Victoria Hospital in East Grinstead, West Sussex.
Speaking about his treatment, Nicola said: “As usual Tyler is taking it all in his stride as he has done since he was hit by the firework.
“The doctors explained everything to him to so well that he knows what to expect.
“They haven’t made any promises to us but they are going to do all they can to restore his sight but we know it is going to take a long time.
“The first step is for Tyler’s eyelid to be stitched open so they can remove the scar tissue.”
Tyler’s life turned upside down when a firework flew into the crowd and hit him in the face.
The brave youngster, of Burnley, Lancs., is now looking forward to beginning a new chapter of his life when he starts at Burnley High School next week.
Nicola added: “Yeah, Tyler is a bit nervous about going back to school, purely the same school he knows he’ll be ok.
“He wears an eye-patch when playing sport and will wear one after his first operation in October.
“His eye is sealed shut at this stage so he can’t see out of it.
“Stem cell procedures should correct the eye, but they say it’s going to take several years.”
Adding: “The eye is the worst part the firework could have hit – because it’s so delicate.”
The stem cell procedure revolves around taking a skin graft from inside Tyler’s mouth to use as a membrane to protect his eye.
And doctors have said this may take a couple of attempts before it is successful.
If the operation does not work with skin grafts from Tyler an appeal for a donor will be made.
Whittlefield Primary School Tyler lives with his mum and her partner Chris Evans, 39, who runs his own business A2z Canopies in Burnley, also where Nicola works.
The Rosegrove Railway Club have been approached for comment.