real fix
BizarreFamiliesHealthMost PopularFive-year-old boy faces plastic surgery after stepping on barbecue HIDDEN under sand on beach

Five-year-old boy faces plastic surgery after stepping on barbecue HIDDEN under sand on beach

A five-year-old boy who seriously burned his foot will have to undergo plastic surgery after stepping on a disposable barbecue – that was buried in the sand.

Little Ryan Bowman had gone to the beach with his father, Allan, but his trip was cut short after he stepped on the buried item – which melted his FLESH.

Allan, 35, rushed him to hospital where his foot was bathed in water for hours.

Allan Bowman with his son Ryan who burnt his foot after he trod on a glowing hot disposable barbecue which had been hidden in the sand at a South Devon beach.

Allan Bowman with his son Ryan who burnt his foot after he trod on a glowing hot disposable barbecue which had been hidden in the sand at a South Devon beach.

The unlucky youngster now has an appointment with the plastic surgery unit at their local hospital – and his father wants to warn others of the possible dangers.

Allan, of Plymouth, Devon, said: “I just want to raise awareness.

“People should be considerate of others.”

The incident happened on August 23 when the two were at Mothecombe Beach in Devon.

At first, Allan thought his son had broken his leg but as he got closer he saw the glowing BBQ.

“He was jumping from the bank onto the beach. I thought he’d broken his leg or something,” Allan said.

“Then he started crying and saying it was really hot.

“I saw that the skin on his foot had melted and the barbecue was still glowing.”

Ryan Bowman's burnt foot after he trod on a glowing hot disposable barbecue which had been hidden in the sand at a South Devon beach

Ryan Bowman’s burnt foot after he trod on a glowing hot disposable barbecue which had been hidden in the sand at a South Devon beach

Allan rushed his son to the water to cool the burn and then drove him to the Cumberland Centre where staff bathed Ryan’s foot in cold water for two hours.

The father and son have had to make a further two trips to the centre and have an appointment with the plastic surgery unit at Derriford Hospital in Plymouth.

Allan was unaware of this at the time and said there were several groups on the beach with barbecues during his visit including “a party of 15 to 20 people who had set up a pit fire”.

Ryan Bowman's burnt foot after he trod on a glowing hot disposable barbecue which had been hidden in the sand at a South Devon beach

Ryan Bowman’s burnt foot after he trod on a glowing hot disposable barbecue which had been hidden in the sand at a South Devon beach

Allan contacted the beach owners, the Flete Estate, who have informed him that a caretaker does clean the beach daily, but does not work during the evenings.

According to the Flete Estate website, barbecues are prohibited at Mothecombe and prior permission must be sought before setting one up.

Comments

comments

Get Your Fix

Sign up to get your fix of real life delivered directly to your inbox! We hate spam and promise we'll only use your email address to send you great stuff from Real-Fix.

Follow Us

Instagram

Contact us

Media Centre, Emma-Chris Way, Filton, Bristol, Avon, BS34 7JU

hello@real-fix.com

Back to Top
Like us on Facebook for regular updates and access to exclusive content and competitions: