A “hero” toddler saved his mother and the life of his unborn sibling when he rescued her during an asthma attack.
Henna Yasir, who is four months pregnant with her second child, was putting her son to bed when she was struck by a sudden bout of vomiting and breathlessness.
As the 29-year-old began struggling to breathe, her three-year-old son Ibrahim put her inhaler into her mouth and pumped the device into her mouth.
The mum-of-one was trying to call her husband as she gasped for breath on the bathroom floor but could not talk.
She managed to desperately ask for water as Ibrahim tried to help at the family home in Walthamstow, east London, in the early hours of Sunday morning.
Henna said if it wasn’t for the “hero” youngster rushing to her aid, she may not have survived as her husband was a ten-minute drive away.
She said: “I had eaten fish for dinner and it didn’t settle well. For hours I had struggled to get Ibrahim to bed and when I put him down I felt ill and ran to the toilet and started vomiting.
“I had the phone in my hand and dialled my husband’s number but I couldn’t talk. I was running out of breath and wheezing and I managed to say ‘water’.
“Ibrahim brought me a glass of water and my breathing pump to open up my airways and he put it into my mouth and pumped it.”
After answering his phone and not hearing anyone speak, her husband Mohammad, 27, immediately left the taxi depot where he works and rushed home.
But Henna believes the ten-minute journey would have been too long for her to go without her inhaler.
She added: “It Ibrahim had not given me my pump I don’t know what would have happened to me. In ten minutes I believe I would have gone.
“I felt like in that moment I was his child. He was not leaving my side and he was telling me it would be ok.
“I was amazed because he has never been in this situation and I can’t get it out of my head how he was so calm and he never even cried.”
Mohammad arrived home to find little Ibrahim sitting on the bathroom floor, holding his mother’s head in his lap and wiping her tears away.
The expectant mum who suffers from a nut allergy now believes she may be allergic to seafood as well, after eating the fish made her throw up.
Two years ago when she suffered an asthma attack at her former workplace, Henna said her colleagues “panicked”, which makes her admire her son’s calmness even more.
She added: “I don’t think he will fully understand what he had done for me until he is an adult.
“I said to him you are mum’s hero and he said, no I am mum’s baby.
“I want parents to know the importance of telling their children how to use the medication because if he didn’t know he would just have watched me struggle for a breath.
“If I can teach him the alphabet then I can teach him where mummy’s pump is.”
Family and friends have hailed her son an “angel” and a “hero” and thankful for the happy ending.