The mum of a toddler whose death is feared to have been caused by swallowing a toilet freshener capsule has issued a warning to other parents.
Arietta-Grace Barnett tragically died after she was thought to have ingested a Toilet Duck product – believed to be the first case of its type in the world.
The two-year-old was described as “very funny” and “really cheeky” by her devastated family, who called their loss “catastrophic”.
An inquest ruled the death in July 2019 as accidental, with a surgeon stating that the detergent may have caused fatal injuries.
Mum Lucy Cook, from Sarisbury Green, Hants., has now issued a warning to other parents following the hearing.
She called on other mums and dads to “pause” before buying certain cleaning products and consider the dangers.
Lucy said: “While we welcome the further investigations the coroner is doing into the Toilet Duck product, we would urge parents to think very carefully before buying these and products similar to them.
“While we understand the link between them and Arietta-Grace’s death is yet to be definitively proven, we feel the evidence currently available is enough to give parents pause before buying these types of products.
“If your child does manage to get hold of a product such as this to make the hospital staff aware of Arietta-Grace so they are less likely to confuse any symptoms your child may present with as an infection as happened in Arietta-Grace’s case.”
Little Arietta-Grace was first taken to hospital after she began vomiting on June 28, 2019 before being discharged on July 2.
But she was readmitted when she began bleeding a week later – and sadly died.
It was said at the inquest that, if the chemical had caused significant injuries to Arietta-Grace, it was the “first time it has happened in the world”.
But the link was not proven and the coroner called for further investigation.
A spokeswoman for SC Johnson, which makes the toilet cleaning product, said following the inquest: “This is heartbreaking, and our thoughts are with the family.
“As it remains unclear exactly what caused this tragedy, we are unable to provide further comment at this time.”