Joanne Avis is pictured at her home in Birmingham, England on May 23 2015. Ms Avis suffered two strokes at the age of 26 following having a lip piercing. See NTI story NTISTROKES; A teacher has told how she nearly died when she suffered two strokes after having her LIP pierced. Joanne Avis, 37, had a stud fitted but it became infected and bacteria in her bloodstream penetrated her heart. She was left unable to walk, speak or swallow and was rushed to hospital where doctors performed emergency surgery to rebuild her heart as her life hung in the balance. Medics told her the lip piercing at a tattoo parlour in south Birmingham had caused a dangerous heart infection called endocarditis. Joanne, who teaches life skills to college students with learning difficulties, made a miraculous recovery and now raises money for stroke charities. She has now spoken for the first time about her trauma which happened when she was aged 26.