A teenager suffered three heart attacks and “died” on her bathroom floor after necking TEN caffeine-filled Jagerbombs on a night out.
Student Jayde Dinsdale, 18, downed the shots – normally made of Jagermeister spirit and energy drinks – on a two-for-one night out with pals.
But after the alcohol wore off the caffeine in her system took control of her heart rate – causing it to accelerate dangerously out of control.
Her terrified parents watched her suffer two cardiac arrests while they frantically performed CPR to keep her alive.
Pretty Jayde – who had another heart attack in the following hours – was put into an induced coma and spent three weeks in hospital before medics fitted an internal defibrillator.
She is now warning other youngsters to avoid the drinks which combine a shot of spirit Jagermeister and half a can of Red Bull.
Jayde, from Yeovil, Somerset, said: “I think it is pretty bad that people sell these drinks. You’ve no idea how much caffeine is in them and how dangerous they can be.
“I hope people will think twice about drinking energy drinks – they could be deadly.”
Bubbly Jayde, a tourism and travel student, arrived at the nightclub sober just before midnight on January 31, having just finished work as a party rep.
She thinks she had around ten drinks – each containing half a can of an energy drink like Red Bull or Monster – before heading home at 2am.
Eight hours later, Jayde was washing her face while talking to mum Natalie, 38, when she suddenly started shaking and collapsed.
Housewife Natalie said: “She was her normal bubbly self and was telling me about the night while in the bathroom.
“Then all of a sudden her chest jolted and she fell to the floor and hit her head on the bath and radiator.”
“I put her in the recovery position and stabilised her, but she started having another fit. I screamed for my husband.
“Her pulse was very faint and she started to go purple. She was dead on the bathroom floor – it’s a miracle that Jayde is still with us.”
Dad Darryl, 38, performed CPR he learned from the Vinnie Jones British Heart Foundation advert, while brave Eliesha, 12, held her sister’s head.
Jayde was taken to the intensive care unit at Yeovil District Hospital where she was put in a 52-hour coma to protect her brain and heart after she suffered a third arrest.
Her body was cooled to just 32 degrees to protect her brain and her family faced an agonising wait to see if she would recover.
Natalie added: “She was covered in tubes. Nothing can prepare you for seeing your child like that.”
But Jayde woke up and was fitted with an implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD) which will shock her heart if it stops again.
After coming out of intensive care, the relieved teen gave her dad a medal inscribed with “Dad of the year 2014 – for saving my life”.
Now her family are pleading with others to avoid high-caffeine energy drinks which “came close to taking her life”.
College student Jayde, who can’t remember anything of the night or following day, said: “The doctors have said it was all to do with the energy drinks.
“Alcohol slows your heart rate but the energy drinks speed it up.
“That’s why I was able to come home and sleep ok, but when the alcohol totally left my system at 10am, my heart stopped.
“I’m quite glad I don’t really remember it all. But now I am looking at how much caffeine is in energy drinks, I just can’t believe they are on sale.”
Dad Darryl, added: “This could have happened to anyone. It wasn’t caused by alcohol, it was the amount of caffeine in her body. It’s shocking the amount of caffeine in those drinks.”
Medics said that while most people can tolerate caffeine in moderation, “excessive consumption” can lead to seizures, strokes or sudden death.
Consultant emergency physician at Yeovil District Hospital, Dr David Maritz, said: “Given the potential for harm as seen from reviews and reports of toxicity in medical literature, it suggests children and young adults, especially those with predisposing medical conditions, are potentially at risk from some serious adverse effects from excessive consumption of energy drinks.”