A five-year-old girl has been hailed a hero after she leapt into action to save the life of her best friend who was choking on his school dinner.
Reception pupil Emma Hayes was sitting with her pal Dexter Wilson, four, in her primary school canteen eating their lunch.
But during the meal Dexter started to gasp for air after he began choking on a piece of sausage, which became lodged in his throat.
Remembering techniques she learned from her older brothers the quick-thinking youngster bent him forward and began hitting his back.
Lunchtime supervisor Jodie Knighton, 45, also rushed to the schoolboy’s aid and between them they were able to dislodge the meat.
Emma’s proud mum Stacey Phillips praised her daughter’s efforts following the drama at Boughton Primary School, in Northampton.
Mrs Phillips, of Brixworth, Northants., said she believed Emma may have picked up her life-saving skills from her twin older brothers, who are eight-years-old.
“One of her older brothers struggles with his food and has a nut allergy so she had probably seen one of them being patted on the back or doing the Heimlich Manoeuvre.”
“I am very proud of her. She is lovely and I don’t think she realised the importance of what she did.
“She was born on September 1, so is one of the oldest children in the year. I think she is very mature for her age.”
Headteacher Paul Archer also said he was very proud of his pupil’s swift response and attempts to help.
He said: “Emma has been rewarded with a special certificate and we are also planning to contact St John Ambulance to put her forward for a special first aid award.
“It is pretty amazing for a five-year-old girl to save a life.
“Pupils at the school do not normally learn first aid tips until years four, five and six.
“Dexter was having trouble and choking but after he spat out the meat he was absolutely fine to continue on with his day.
“It just took a couple of extra swift pats and Dexter was fine.”
Boughton Primary School caters for 139 boys and girls aged four to 11 and got a rating of “Good” at its last Ofsted inspection in 2012.