Dexter Wilson (4) & Emma Hayes (5) with Jodie Knighton. A five-year-old girl has been hailed a hero after she leapt into action to save the life of her best friend who was choking on his school dinner. See NTI story NTICHOKE. Reception pupil Emma Hayes was sitting with her pal Dexter Wilson, four, in her primary school canteen eating their lunch last Thursday (30/4). But during the meal Dexter started to gasp for air after he began choking on a piece of sausage, which became lodged in his throat. Remembering techniques she learned from her older brothers the quick-thinking youngster bent him forward and began hitting his back. Lunchtime supervisor Jodie Knighton, 45, also rushed to the schoolboy's aid and between them they were able to dislodge the meat. Yesterday (Thurs) Emma's proud mum Stacey Phillips praised her daughter's efforts following the drama at Boughton Primary School, in Northampton.