This is the moment a quick thinking man saved his dog’s life — by performing the ‘Heimlich manoeuvre’ on the choking pet.
Electrician Joshua Aspey, 22, was forced to spring into action when Jack Russell Sally choked on a piece of cheese and started to fit.
The former lifeguard used skills he learned for his poolside job and thumped her on the back and chest to dislodged the blocked food.
He saved his pooch’s life and the whole thing was captured on a CCTV camera set up in the kitchen.
Joshua from Watchet, Somerset, said: “I heard her paws scraping on the tiles so I turned around and saw her fitting.
“I just started to smack her on the back and shook her head up and down to try to bring it back up.
“I shook her head back and forth and the first piece came out.
“There were two lots of food in there.
“I put my fingers down her throat to get the second bit.
“Seeing your dog doing that is horrible. My dogs means the world to me.
“I grew up with them and they are all I have known. They are part of the family.
“I used to work as a lifeguard so have had the training on what to do if someone is choking.
“We were taught to thrust on someone’s chest or hit them across the back.
“She is a nightmare for scoffing food – it’s just what she does.
“It was just instinct but was definitely scary. I was panicking.”
Before he was an electrician Joshua was a lifeguard so knew exactly what to do to help the ten-year-old dog.
It happened after Joshua dished out small pieces of cheese to all three of his dogs – including border terrier, Mickey and Border Terrier cross Jack Russel, Daisy.
But “greedy” Sally ate too much cheese too quickly and began to choke on lumps of cheese.
Thankfully Sally recovered soon after being filmed on the ground by a CCTV camera in Josh’s parent’s house.