real fix
AnimalsHealthMust ReadWoman chewed on a beetle when she bit into a jam doughnut

Woman chewed on a beetle when she bit into a jam doughnut

A woman had an unwelcome surprise when she bit into a chewy jam doughnut – and crunched into a BEETLE.

Shocked Billie Rose, 25, is demanding compensation from the pudding’s producer after she almost swallowed half a beetle lurking inside the jam-filled doughnut.

The self-employed machine operative spat the beetle out after hearing a “massive crunch” – when she bit off the big bug’s head.

The half beetle Billy spat out.

The half beetle Billy spat out.

Billie, of Hernhill, Kent, said: “I bit into it and the beetle’s head came off in my mouth – it was not something I expected.

“It is disgusting as you do not know what diseases they get and what went into my mouth.

“It did not taste of anything, but it was a massive crunch.”

The jam-filled treat was bought by her friend last week at the Dargate services, near Canterbury, Kent,

Three of the four ‘funsize’ doughnuts – from the Spar convenience shop – were eaten when they were bought, but Miss Rose decided to tuck into the leftover dessert the following day.

She said: “I do not usually eat doughnuts, but I was hungry that morning and needed something quick to eat.

A woman who heard a "massive crunch" when she bit into a jam doughnut found she was chewing on - a beetle.

A woman who heard a “massive crunch” when she bit into a jam doughnut found she was chewing on – a beetle.

“Beetles go into dirty places and if that goes into your mouth, it’s just not very nice.

“I do not feel ill, but it is just the thought of it.”

She is now asking for compensation from Orpington-based producer Country Choice, which provided the doughnuts to Spar.

Kevin Coles, a spokesman from the firm, said: “We would like to reassure Miss Rose that the highest standards of product quality and food safety are in place at the bakery we use to produce this product, so it is extremely unlikely that the beetle would have entered the product there.

A woman who heard a "massive crunch" when she bit into a jam doughnut found she was chewing on - a beetle.

A woman who heard a “massive crunch” when she bit into a jam doughnut found she was chewing on – a beetle.

“As this is not something we have experienced before, we are very keen for Miss Rose to return the beetle to us so that we can carry out a full investigation to try to identify what it is and at what point it entered the product as we are sure it was very distressing for her.”

Swale Borough Council spokesman Lynn MacDonald said the authority will also look at the issue.

She said: “Our usual investigation would be to contact the complainant for full information.

“We would then make contact with the person responsible for selling the food and gather as much information as possible before deciding what action is necessary in accordance with our enforcement policy.”

Comments

comments

Get Your Fix

Sign up to get your fix of real life delivered directly to your inbox! We hate spam and promise we'll only use your email address to send you great stuff from Real-Fix.

Follow Us

Instagram

Contact us

Media Centre, Emma-Chris Way, Filton, Bristol, Avon, BS34 7JU

hello@real-fix.com

Back to Top
Like us on Facebook for regular updates and access to exclusive content and competitions: