A woman said she was nearly blinded in one eye and suffered horrific facial burns after two eggs she boiled in the microwave EXPLODED in her face.
Bethany Rosser, 22, decided to make boiled eggs for breakfast and Googled instructions on how to do it using a microwave.
The insurer read on popular recipe website it was safe to microwave the eggs in water without them bursting – so long as she added salt.
Bethany says she followed the guidelines and took them out the microwave to cool at around 9am after six minutes at 600W.
She looked into the jug to check the two shelled eggs were ready when they exploded with a huge bang, burning the right side of her face.
Quick-thinking Bethany immediately dialled 999 while she ran cold water over her face, but said she could feel her skin had already started to peel off.
She was rushed to the burns unit at Queen Elizabeth Hospital Birmingham, where she received treatment including wet bandages over her face, and stayed overnight.
Bethany said doctors can’t yet determine if permanent damage has been done to her right eye, because it has sealed shut due to swelling.
She remains in hospital, where she feels “okay but nervous as I’m not sure if I will be able to see out of that eye when the swelling goes down”.
Bethany, from Redditch, Worcestershire, added that she’s been advised the burns won’t scar – but that she can expect long-term skin discolouration.
She said: “Yesterday morning I was making breakfast before work, and I Googled to see if you could make boiled eggs in the microwave.
“There are endless websites and YouTube videos which say you can. The one I read, though, was the set of instructions on Delish.
“On that page, it said that you could microwave the eggs as long as you add salt to the eggs in the water, to prevent them from bursting.
“So, of course, I added salt.
“The instructions then said to leave the eggs in the microwave for between six and eight minutes. Being cautious, I did six and took them out.
“As I looked into the jug to see if the eggs were done, they went bang in my face.
“It only happened as I took them out, though. The eggs were fine in the microwave.
“Once I’d taken them out and shut the microwave door, they just burst all of a sudden.
“I was on my own, so I called 999, who sent an ambulance while I was running cold water and splashing it on my face.
“As I splashed myself, I could see my skin peeling off.
“It felt horrible, I was in total agony. I could feel my skin burning for hours afterwards – even while it was being treated in hospital.
“It felt like my skin was being ripped off, it was so scary.
“I’ve never been so scared in my life – I was shaking and crying.
“An ambulance took me to hospital, and covered my face with wet bandages.
“First the paramedics and then hospital staff tried to see if I had any permanent damage to my eye, but – due to it being so swollen – they weren’t able to tell.
“I’ve been advised the burns shouldn’t scar, but that I should expect discolouration.
“The accident yesterday was the worst thing that’s happened to me so far. It was without doubt the worst day of my life to date.
“And to think the damage is to my face and my eye. The main focus of any body is their face, and now I risk scars and potentially damaged vision – over eggs.”
Bethany said she got the instructions from website Delish during the incident last week.
It says eggs can be boiled in the microwave by placing them in a microwave-safe bowl, covered in water, for six to eight minutes depending on the strength of the microwave.
Crucially, the website advises readers to add salt, because it “ensures that the egg won’t explode, and though it might sound harmless, exploding eggs ARE VERY BAD”.
It goes on to say: “We’re talking volcanic hot egg pieces and sharp bits of shell flying everywhere. Skip the salt at your own risk!”
But injured Bethany, who microwaved a standard 1-litre jug full of water, insists she added salt precisely because she didn’t want the eggs to explode.
She said that, since telling friends and family, she isn’t the only person to have experienced exploding eggs.
Bethany said: “I have a cousin who did the same thing. Luckily for her, the explosion happened in the microwave, not in her face.
“There’s also a family friend whose eggs burst as he got them out of the microwave – but again, luckily they didn’t go off in his face.”
She added: “It’s very clearly dangerous as numerous people have had the same explosion happen from eggs in the microwave. I honestly wouldn’t risk that.
“That’s why I’m so annoyed at Delish, because it literally says if you do this then it won’t happen. Well, I did it – and it still happened.
“I will never boil eggs in the microwave again, and I hope nobody else will either.”