This startling video captures the moment a bolt of lightning struck a chimney during a freak storm – creating a FIREBALL.
Dozens of people were startled on (Tues) as a thunderstorm took place – with near-constant lightning flashes.
Paul Krekelaar, who lives in Hanham, Bristol, was filming the lightning out his window around 1am and saw a small explosion over a neighbour’s house.
A huge bang can be heard as the lightning struck the chimney and burst into flame, and Paul can be seen jumping back from his window.
“I was not expecting that to happen right in front of my eyes,” said Paul, who works for Bristol-based construction and carpentry company, Prestige Kontracts Ltd.
“There was a really big bang, really loud, and it woke up several other people in the street.
“I had been up about ten minutes previously watching the lightning, and had just decided to start filming it.
“I don’t know the people who live in that house, but I did go across and make sure they were okay. Then the fire brigade turned up.”
Firefighters from Kingswood Fire Station were called to the house, in High Street, Hanham, and attended with a turntable ladder.
A spokesman for Avon Fire and Rescue said: “At 12.17am one crew from Kingswood fire station, along with the turntable ladder from Temple, were called to a property that had been struck by lightning on the High Street in Hanham.
“On arrival, firefighters used the turntable ladder and small gear to remove the loose chimney pot from the roof.
“They also inspected the property using a thermal imaging camera to check there was no further damage.”
The Met Office thunderstorm warning over Bristol remained in place until 9am today (Weds).
But temperatures are expected to climb back up to 27 degrees in the city today, and 30 degrees tomorrow (Thurs).