These X-rays show a toddler who swallowed a battery the size of a 10p – damaging her oesophagus and requiring surgery to remove.
Two year old Sofia-Grace had to undergo an operation to remove the small watch battery at Bristol Royal Hospital for Children.
It was found following an X-ray – with results showing serious damage to Sofia-Grace’s oesophagus.
Dad Calham noticed there was something wrong with his daughter as she was having difficulties eating, drinking and breathing.
Calham took Sofia-Grace to the hospital and the GP on a number of occasions before the issue was finally discovered.
She had an operation to remove the battery and an NG tube fitted to help her with her feeding and to stop her throat from closing completely.
Calham is unsure how Sofia-Grace got hold of the watch battery but is extremely relieved that it was discovered in time.
He said: “Sofia is now on a purée diet and doing very well.
“She is improving week by week with regular dilations which is stretching and improving her oesophagus.”
The hospital has now put out a warning about the dangers of small batteries and magnets often found in toys.
A spokesperson said: “Do not leave button batteries, items containing button batteries, or small magnets lying around the house – keep them out of reach children. If there is any concern that a child has swallowed a battery or magent, immediately call 999 or attend the Emergency Department (ED).
“A child may not show symptoms if a battery or magnet is swallowed or ingested but it can have severe consequences if not treated or attended to by medical teams quickly.
“The newer neodymium magnets are much stronger than normal magnets and are found in many household objects and toys.
“When more than one magnet or a magnet and another metal object is swallowed, it can cause significant damage to the bowel.
“The more magnets swallowed, the greater the risk. A lithium battery could get stuck in the oesophagus and can cause a significant burn to the tissues within 2 hours.”